Thursday, November 3, 2011

Short Notice Wedding Cake

One of my friend's mother got engaged and decided to get married quickly.  She had to plan her whole wedding in a month and didn't contact me until two weeks before the wedding!  Now, I normally wouldn't take a wedding cake order with that little notice, but since it was a friend I decided to do it for her.  It was a challenge getting all the details taken care of in a week, since I needed a week to work on the cake and its details.  She wanted the really delicate gum paste roses that I make.  Each of those roses takes 12-15 minutes to make start to finish, so I spent days working on them.  Thankfully my friend, Brenda was an absolute lifesaver and spent 3 half days helping me make roses and decorate the cakes.  I couldn't have done it without her!  She wanted my Luscious Lemon Cake.  Her fiance wanted to be able to take the top tier home for their first anniversary.  So, we decided to do 6, 10 and 14 inch tiers to achieve the look she wanted.  I did the bottom and top tiers with my Lemon Creme Filling and the middle tier with Raspberry Filling.  She also wanted a Groom's Cake.  So, I did a Classic Yellow Cake with a Dark Chocolate Ganache Filling and a Dark Chocolate Buttercream Frosting.  I decorated both the cakes with a similar pattern in the buttercream to help tie them together.  The wedding cake had a beautiful spray of white roses down it.  My friend's mom is so sweet.  She called and left a message for me after the reception gushing about how much she loved the cake, how much her husband loved his cake, and how they surpassed her expectations!


No comments:

Post a Comment