Wednesday, January 26, 2011

To Make a Wedding Cake

Our friend wanted a chocolate wedding cake.  We went with four layer cakes--Dark Chocolate Fudge Cake.  The fillings we used were White Chocolate Creme, Chocolate Ganache, and Fresh Raspberry Filling.  Lori made the four layers of cake for the bottom tier--square 16 x 16.  She also made the Fresh Raspberry Filling.  I made the four layers for the 12 x 12 and 8 x 8 tiers of the cake.  I also made the White Chocolate Creme filling, the Chocolate Ganache filling and the Chocolate Buttercream for the crumb coat.
I had frozen my layers so they would be easier to work with and less crumby.  Here they are still wrapped in plastic wrap.

Leveling the largest of the cakes, the 16 x 16.  The parchment paper is a huge help in moving these large layers of cake, not to mention how much easier it makes getting the cakes out of the pans.  I had to get an extra large cake leveler for this job!

I made seven batches of Chocolate Buttercream Frosting to crumb coat this cake.

The first layer of filling was the Chocolate Ganache.  This is the second layer of filling--our White Chocolate Creme.
The top layer of filling--our Fresh Raspberry Filling.  Delicious!

The three layers all crumb coated in Chocolate Buttercream Frosting.

Top tier covered in Chocolate Fondant.

I put these signs in all my car windows.  People were nice enough to give me a good berth, even though I was driving slow!

Putting the dowels in for tiering.

Putting the big dowel down the middle to keep the cake stable.


Tada!  The finished product!  The fresh berries really gave the chocolate a punch!  I looked gorgeous and tasted delicious!  We got LOTS of compliments on how tasty our cake was.  Most wedding cakes don't taste very good, but we endeavor to make ours delectable!

1 comment: